commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Commons] Unmaintained projects
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:37:48 GMT
On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 17:04 -0400, Bernard, Shawn wrote:
> I never got an answer to my below question, and I just saw the question about one of
the Sandbox projects.
> Is there a list of unmaintained/abandoned Commons projects?

commons operates a hive approach: there are no specific maintainers, the
community of committers is responsible. of course, for each component,
there are a number of committers who've done work on that component.
some components are now mature which means committers tend to drift
away. IMHO this is pretty much the case with beanutils.

the issue of dead components in the sandbox is clear and different and
has been discussed at apachecon and i'll propose something (unless
someone beats me to it).

i'm not too sure how easy is to deal with the case of mature commons
components.

> Is there anything that this community can do about them?

good question :)

if there are no committers who have the energy to address the problems
of a component to their satisfaction, then this makes it impossible to
add new committers. if the developer and user community is still strong
(but is just lacking in committers willing to push the component
forward) then one option would be to build a son-of-beanutils elsewhere
(perhaps sourceforge) using the apache license and (perhaps) one day
(once a healthy community has developed) look to come back into the
commons through the incubator.

> -Shawn

see above

> Or is it being left to stagnate for a reason (i.e. Java 5).

i can only speak for myself. i have to hold down a day job and only have
a limited energy available for open source coding. beanutils now comes
pretty low on my priority list and so it's very unlikely that i'll ever
get round to working on it again any time soon.

i think that beanutils works ok but know that a significant amount of
effort would be needed to improve it without breaking compatibility.

i do think that a next generation beanutils is not only possible but
would be a good thing. however, the energy required would be significant
and it would have to start from a clean sheet. i have other interests
and aims which i think are more important and i'm not longer willing to
argue and patch something which has probably been pushed as far as it
can.

other folks may give different answers.

- robert