commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <>
Subject Re: [CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:26:40 GMT
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 23:43 +0200, Hansine Jensen wrote:
> When you download from
> you get which is the original distribution from November 2002
> containing commons-cli-1.0.jar corresponding to
> But if you download
> or e.g.
> you get a different archive containg two more classes, OptionValidator and
> Util.
> This versions seems to be the one described at
> also claiming to be Commons CLI 1.0.
> Can someone please explain what is going on here?

I can confirm the above info is correct. It sure looks like a cock-up to

It would appear that after the 1.0 release no-one updated the
currentVersion tag in project.xml and that at some later time someone
compiled the trunk code and published it on ibiblio as commons-cli-1.0
when it was actually a snapshot of trunk.

> I wonder if there is a tag in svn for the maven version or if it is a
> snapshot of

It sure looks to me like the version on ibiblio (which Maven will
download) is a snapshot of some unknown state of trunk. The file on
ibiblio is dated 29 jan 2004 so I guess that's the date that the code is
from. The version# in project.xml was updated on 22 april 2004, so the
snapshot is certainly before that date.

I think the best thing to do would be to publish a cli-1.0.1 which is
identical to 1.0, ie copy tags/CLI_1_0 to CLI_1_0_1 then update the
version# and build a new release. The 1.0 release on ibiblio should then
be deleted. Yes this will break a whole bunch of existing projects that
depend on 1.0 - but I can't see any better way out of this.

Is there anyone from the CLI team willing to do this?

NB: This problem isn't anything to do with Maven.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message