commons-user mailing list archives

From "Maxime" <max....@free.fr>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] It's works under Firefox but not on IE, why ?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:06:19 GMT
Hello Mihael,
Thank you veru much for your answer and the advice about Debian.
Now I did some checking like : out.println(fileName);
and it's returning all the path of the file under IE.

out.println(fileName);

IE  :             D:\DOCUMENTS\photo.jpg
FireFox :     photo.jpg

It's look like the problem is coming from here because for writing a file I
use that :

String fileName = item.getName();
File uploadedFile = new File(yourTempDirectory + fileName);
item.write(uploadedFile);

Well well, I wonder how I have to do in order to have the same result as
FireFox.
Any idea ?
Thank you very much anyway.

Maxime

----- Original Message -----
From: "Knezevic, Mihael" <m.knezevic@porta.de>
To: "Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:36 AM
Subject: AW: [FileUpload] It's works under Firefox but not on IE, why ?

if you have not specified an extra logger for the web app the output should
go to catalina.out. e.printStackTrace() puts everything on the error output
stream which also goes to catalina.out.

FileItem.getName() will return different paths for ie and firefox. firefox
only returns the name and ie the whole path (hmmm. or the other way round).
there was a discussion some weeks ago about this topic.

and you'll run into a little problem (which is resolvable) when you move to
debian. cause the file separator are different and when you get a the
absolute file name from the ie for the uploaded file, you have to figure out
on your own what belongs to the filename and what to the path because of the
different file separator. there was also a discussion of this topic some
weeks ago. just have a look at the archives about that.

i would try and check for item.getName() and take a look at it via
System.err.println(item.getName());