commons-user mailing list archives

From Jason Burrows <jason.burr...@gmail.com>
Subject [logging] Problem isolated - get a LogConfigurationException when I have j2ee.jar in my project
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:44:45 GMT
Hi again -

I have isolated my problem.  It only happens when I include j2ee.jar.
It doesn't matter if I am using it or not.  If I don't include this
jar, the call is fine 100% of the time, if I do include the jar
(putting it in /jre/lib/ext/ or using Eclipse's 'add external jar...')
then it will fail unless I am running a j2ee environment.  Obviously I
don't need to include this jar generally, but it really annoying to
have to remove it when ever I want to switch from developing my
components for when they are running in tomcat to when they are
running standalone.  Just to clarify - the exact same test code with
only the one line will work when j2ee.jar is not available but will
fail when it is available.

Again, my problem is when I make this call:

LogFactory.getLog(CommonsLoggingTest.class);

I get this (when j2ee.jar is available, when it is not available the
call is fine):

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NullPointerException (Caused by
java.lang.NullPointerException) (Caused by
java.lang.NullPointerException (Caused by
java.lang.NullPointerException))
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:543)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:209)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:351)
	at com.redhawk.testing.CommonsLoggingTest.doTest(CommonsLoggingTest.java:27)
	at com.redhawk.testing.CommonsLoggingTest.main(CommonsLoggingTest.java:45)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
java.lang.NullPointerException (Caused by
java.lang.NullPointerException)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:397)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:529)
	... 5 more
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:374)
	... 6 more