commons-user mailing list archives

From hites...@tcs.com
Subject Re: FileUpload: File name in Japanese characters
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:26:34 GMT

Hi Jason,

The file system supports Japanese characters. I wrote a small java program
which creating file with file name containing Japanese characters.
In my web application I printed the File name in log and it is showing in
Japanese.
But when I am saving file on Disk using FileItem.write() method it is
saving file with corrupted name.
Even I tried to save file using OutputStream but that also saved with
corrupted name.

I guess the problem is with FileName.
As I said before that request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") is done before
handling request data.
I am creating File object passing the FileName and FileName may be in
"utf-8" format. I am not sure whether File() support String in utf-8
format. But normal String operation (concatenation etc) are working
properly and printed properly in log files.

Even I tried following

                                                byte[] b =
fileName.getBytes("utf-8");
                                                String fileName1 = new
String(b,"SJIS");
                                                System.out.println(
"fileName1 = " + fileName1);

SJIS is character format supported by Japanese OS. But this showing
corrupted string even in log file.

Any pointer to this problem?

Regards,
Hitesh Chandmal Jodhavat

Jason Lea <jason@kumachan.net.nz>
06/08/2005 01:15 PM
Please respond to
"Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>

Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: FileUpload: File name in Japanese characters

Can the file system support japanese characters?

Can you rename a file and cut-and-paste some japanese characters in for
the filename?

--
Jason Lea