commons-user mailing list archives

From "Pramodh Peddi" <>
Subject [DBCP] removeAbandoned and removeAbandonedTimeout feature
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:07:54 GMT

The feature (provided by removeAbandoned and removeAbandonedTimeout)
used to work when I used Tomcat's JNDI to create the DataSource. Now, I
started using BasicDataSourceFactory.createDataSource(Properties) to
create the DataSource. Ever since I made this change, this feature
stopped working for me. One more difference is, the application is not
in the context of Tomcat now, it's a standalone application. Not sure if
this makes a difference as the tool is claimed to work both in and out
of Tomcat.

I realize this feature is deprecated in 1.2 and might be removed in the
future releases. I am not really sure why this feature is deprecated as
I (and hoping others) found this a very very very useful feature. Even
official dbcp documentation
s-howto.html) advices to use this to close poorly managed connections.
Is there any replacement for this set of parameters? If this feature is
gone (and if nothing replaces this), I do not think there is any way for
the dbcp tool to close an open connection, if not closed by the

Any input will be greatly appreciated,