commons-user mailing list archives

From "Pramodh Peddi" <>
Subject RE: [dbcp] SORRY FOR THE REITERATIVE EMAILS - pooling configured/works fine. Few DBCP questions for experts.......
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:01:03 GMT
I am extremely sorry for the reiterative emails and I apologize if
anyone got annoyed because of these emails. I sent ONLY 1 email. Not
sure if there is something wrong with my mail server.

Please do not stop responding to my email because of the reiterative

Sorry again,

-----Original Message-----
From: Pramodh Peddi
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:05 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: [dbcp] pooling configured/works fine. Few DBCP questions for

I think I am done with getting the DB pooling work (of course, for my

prototype and I am hoping would work fie for the actual/production

application). Following are my questions/opinions to give myself a clear

understanding of the pooling:

*     Database Pooling is done internally by tomcat and we do not

explicitly maintain any pool other than setting parameters in server.xml

*     When does tomcat create initial connections in the pool? During

server start up? If not when?

*     What is the best/optimal DataSource (BasicDataSource?

PoolingDataSource?) to use to accomplish Connection pooling and also

PreparedStatement Pooling? And, should the 'factory' value in server.xml

be the corresponding value (BasicDataSourceFactory, etc)?

*     Can we find out if we can programmatically know how many

Connections are there in the pool, how many are active, how many are

idle, etc? This is just to print these statistics (may be once an hour)

in the log file to ensure nothing is fishy with DB level.

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Pramodh.