commons-user mailing list archives

From "Pramodh Peddi" <ppe...@IMPRIVATA.com>
Subject [dbcp] pooling configured/works fine. Few DBCP questions for experts.......
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:05:11 GMT
I think I am done with getting the DB pooling work (of course, for my
prototype and I am hoping would work fie for the actual/production
application). Following are my questions/opinions to give myself a clear
understanding of the pooling:

*	Database Pooling is done internally by tomcat and we do not
explicitly maintain any pool other than setting parameters in server.xml
right?
*	When does tomcat create initial connections in the pool? During
server start up? If not when?
*	What is the best/optimal DataSource (BasicDataSource?
PoolingDataSource?) to use to accomplish Connection pooling and also
PreparedStatement Pooling? And, should the 'factory' value in server.xml
be the corresponding value (BasicDataSourceFactory, etc)?
*	Can we find out if we can programmatically know how many
Connections are there in the pool, how many are active, how many are
idle, etc? This is just to print these statistics (may be once an hour)
in the log file to ensure nothing is fishy with DB level.

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Pramodh.