commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Transaction] API, GenerickLock, FileResourceManager (was Re: Transaction API, GenericLock, FileResourceManager)
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:39:46 GMT
On 6/27/05, Aaron Hamid <arh14@cornell.edu> wrote:
> I will use Thread.currentThread() for the "owner".  I'm not clear as to the utility of
non-thread owners...what is the semantics of synchronization if the owners are not threads?
 Or is the intention that owners ultimately must be associated with unique threads?

If something is actually blocked, it of course is the thread. But the
thread that does something on behalf of a therad owner may change,
e.g. when a transaction is suspended in one thread and resumed in
another. In something like JTA you will have to tell the TM about
this, in commons transaction you will not have to.

Oliver