commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [dbcp] pooling configured/works fine. Few DBCP questions for experts.......
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:04:11 GMT
Answers inline.

Pramodh Peddi wrote:
> I think I am done with getting the DB pooling work (of course, for my
> prototype and I am hoping would work fie for the actual/production
> application). Following are my questions/opinions to give myself a clear
> understanding of the pooling:
>
> *	Database Pooling is done internally by tomcat and we do not
> explicitly maintain any pool other than setting parameters in server.xml
> right?
Yes, tomcat will create a pool and bind it to JNDI . You can lookup and
use this pool. getconnection & conn.close()

> *	When does tomcat create initial connections in the pool? During
> server start up? If not when?
When you first a connection from the pool.

> *	What is the best/optimal DataSource (BasicDataSource?
> PoolingDataSource?) to use to accomplish Connection pooling and also
> PreparedStatement Pooling? And, should the 'factory' value in server.xml
> be the corresponding value (BasicDataSourceFactory, etc)?
The default tomcat datasource is a BasicDataSource created by
BasicDataSourceFactory. If you want to use getconnection(user, pass) to
connect to the database with different account then you can use a
PerUserPoolDataSource.
Examples for both are found on the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP