commons-user mailing list archives

From cristi <cri...@medialab.sissa.it>
Subject Re: Unable to detect wrong TAR archives
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:51:44 GMT
rafiq@dreamthought.com wrote:
> Hi Cristi,
>

>>I am using the Apache Jakarta Commons Compress library to
>>untar .tar files. All works fine until I try to untar a
>>file with the .tar extension but whose contents is not a
>>well formed TAR file.
>

> Have you considered writing a wrapper around Compress which contains your
> input stream and checks the first record in the tar using getNextEntry()
> for a non-null entry, otherwise throwing an exception.

---- BEGIN CODE ----

tis = new TarInputStream(new FileInputStream(archFile));
TarEntry te = null;
while ((te = tis.getNextEntry()) != null)
{
      /* SOME PROCESSING HERE */
}

---- END CODE ----

Within the piece of code above, no exception is thrown if "archFile" is
not a well formed TAR file. The "te" variable gets a non null value
after the call to getNextEntry(), so how can I see if the tar file is
a bad one ?

Thx again
cristi