commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] VFS.getManager().getFilesCache() - exists() vs findFiles()
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:24:04 GMT
Philippe Poulard wrote:
> i need these attributes to create the file : XML:DB oblige to indicate
> if a file is XML or binary ; other attributes may also be required
> according to the provider ; so, if IMAGINARY was a type that would
> accept attributes, all would work fine
Hmmm ... I am not happy with this.

Sure, this is a small and easy change but it breaks VFS philosphy: A
single and consistent api to access files.
Why? - You now have to know which filesystem you access and maybe setup
some (not defined by the fs) attributes to correctly create/read/write
files.

Say if I would like to move from a FTP: store to XMLDB: I would like to
be able to do this without the need to change the whole application
(e.g. set attributes before file creation)

When exactly do you need those attributes?
If we need to distinguish between binary/text files wouldnt it be better
we provide a configuration to map filename-extensions/content-types to
its type?

Which attributes else do you need?

---
Mario