commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FileUpload: File name in Japanese characters
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:49:04 GMT
On 6/9/05, hitesh.j@tcs.com <hitesh.j@tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> The file system supports Japanese characters. I wrote a small java program
> which creating file with file name containing Japanese characters.
> In my web application I printed the File name in log and it is showing in
> Japanese.
> But when I am saving file on Disk using FileItem.write() method it is
> saving file with corrupted name.
> Even I tried to save file using OutputStream but that also saved with
> corrupted name.
>
> I guess the problem is with FileName.
> As I said before that request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") is done before
> handling request data.
> I am creating File object passing the FileName and FileName may be in
> "utf-8" format. I am not sure whether File() support String in utf-8
> format. But normal String operation (concatenation etc) are working
> properly and printed properly in log files.
>
> Even I tried following
>
>                                                 byte[] b =
> fileName.getBytes("utf-8");
>                                                 String fileName1 = new
> String(b,"SJIS");
>                                                 System.out.println(
> "fileName1 = " + fileName1);
>
> SJIS is character format supported by Japanese OS. But this showing
> corrupted string even in log file.

Well, yes, of course this will fail. You're asking for the bytes
encoded as UTF-8 and then constructing a string by specifying that the
encoding is SJIS, but the encoding of the bytes you're giving it is
UTF-8, because that's what you asked for when you retrieved them in
the first place.

Strings in Java are Unicode. Encodings such as UTF-8 and SJIS have
nothing to do with the String itself. They relate to how it is
serialised into a sequence of bytes, or deserialised from a sequence
of bytes.

Do you actually know what encoding the browser is sending you? Did you
tell it that you wanted it to send you UTF-8? Did you include the
necessary <meta http-equiv> element in your page?

--
Martin Cooper

> Any pointer to this problem?
>
> Regards,
> Hitesh Chandmal Jodhavat
>

> Jason Lea <jason@kumachan.net.nz>
> 06/08/2005 01:15 PM
> Please respond to
> "Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>

> Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: FileUpload: File name in Japanese characters
>

> Can the file system support japanese characters?
>
> Can you rename a file and cut-and-paste some japanese characters in for
> the filename?
>
> hitesh.j@tcs.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") is done before File save.
> >I printed the file name in log and it is printed properly with Japanese
> >characters.
> >
> >Actually I am appending some unique id to File Name and then saving on
> >disk.
> >I guess there is problem when I am appending the id to file name.
> >
> >Is anybody aware of solution to this problem?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Hitesh Chandmal Jodhavat
> >

> --
> Jason Lea

> ForwardSourceID:NT0000213A
>

> Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may
contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained
in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately
and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you