commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commons development practises (was maven : why marmalade ?)
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:34:13 GMT
On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 10:50 +0000, A Leg wrote:

> That is why I sent my feedback, to try to explain that backward
> compatibility with maven 1 tags is important.

No, you moaned about the fact that software changes in general. CVS to
subversion and ant to maven were two of your complaints. And my response
was that in the software world things always change. Live with it. Learn
to love it. Remember that it keeps us employed.

A polite question *to the maven list* asking whether they are intending
to support maven1 plugins in maven2, and if not whether the problem is
technical (cannot be done), or motivational (too much effort) would have
been the appropriate move.

If the answer is the latter, then you have to seriously consider how
many people actually care about compatibility. If it's only you and your
dog then you have to accept you're out of luck - it's no-one's
responsibility to work for you for free. If there are many people, then
it's time to politely request support for it - or gather the affected
people and work together to create a patch that implements the feature
*you* need. And remember no-one is going to take away the version you're
using right now.

Under no circumstance do you have the right to demand that new
development on the project is halted and all APIs are frozen just to
suit you.

In any case, are you
a) using Maven to build your own project, or
b) a supplier of Maven plugins which wrap your project?

If (a) then what's the problem? Maven1 will continue to exist. If you
are using it then clearly there aren't any bugs that bother you. And
anyway I believe the Maven team are intending to provide bugfixes for
maven1. And if they don't, you can fix it yourself and still be way
ahead of having built your own solution.

If (b), then creating wrappers for maven2 is likely to be a very small
amount of work. From what I can see, the maven2 team have given some
thought to how people can structure their custom maven plugins so that
the work to support both is reduced.

And none of this is really relevant to this commons list.

Regards,

SImon