commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maven : why marmalade ?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:12:20 GMT
On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 08:36 +0000, A Leg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just got a look on maven 2 description and I have some questions ?

I suggest you try the maven list for answers specifically about
marmalade/jelly and the future of Maven.

> What about marmelade license which seems not to be Apache License V2 ?

It's a BSD license which is perfectly compatible with the Apache
license. Not every good project in the world is here at Jakarta...

> What about living an Apache project for a codehaus project ?

If people think it's better then it's their choice. Projects get
superceded by better designs over time - that's progress. Sometimes it
happens as version N+1 of an existing project, sometimes it's something
external.

Besides, I *believe* that maven2 provides the option to use Marmalade,
Jelly or any other language. So it's adding options rather than dropping
Jelly support.

> I personaly feel that all hat moves : ant to maven, cvs to subversion,
> jelly to marmalade where people create news peojects instead of
> contributing to improve existing one, all these moves are not a big
> advantage for open source.

If you don't like change, I'm afraid you're in the wrong industry.
Computer software is improving fast, and that means change. Yes it's a
little tiring to keep up sometimes but that's better than stagnation.

It's not just open source; people are screaming about the end of Visual
Basic and Win9x. And Borland JBuilder users are facing a change soon -
to a product built on Eclipse. Tough luck, times change.

> Already my ISP does not support Linux because instead of having one good
> linuxconf they have many "proprietary" configuration tools.

Then they're fools. They should pick one linux distribution and stay
with it; no need to support multiple types. And anyway the differences
between linux variants really are pretty trivial. I suspect they're not
telling you the real reason.

Regards,

Simon