commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Digester] enums in ConvertUtils.register
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:45:04 GMT
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 03:19 -0400, Jon Steelman wrote:
> Okay, my bad. I tested ConvertUtils directly and it works as does
> Digester.
>
> However, it brings up the point that ConvertUtils.convert(String, Class)
> should automatically handle the case of the Class is an enum by using
> the enum's built in valueOf(String) method so that a custom Converter is
> not required. Is this the forum to make that suggestion?

Yes, this is definitely the right place to discuss things like this.

The problem is that if we add that code to beanutils then beanutils will
no longer work in pre-1.5 jvms. Offhand I can't think of a reasonable
way to support 1.5 enums without breaking earlier java versions. And
having separate versions of beanutils for the two java platforms would
be a major nuisance.

Any ideas how this could be implemented?

Regards,

Simon