commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Startup problem with Tomcat because of commons-logging
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:28:36 GMT
On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 12:26 +0200, Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have severe problems with a webapp that uses commons-logging, in
> Tomcat 5.5. The webapp contains the newest commons-logging and log4j
> 1.2.8, and configures logging via a log4j.properties in
> WEB-INF/classes. So far, so normal. When I start Tomcat on the
> commandline, everything works as expected. But when running Tomcat
> from within Eclipse I get this pretty ugly exception:
>
> ava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
> constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@5ff916 for
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))
>
> (complete stack trace at the end of the mail)
>
> FYI: Tomcat is a fresh and unmodified 5.5.9 running on JDK 1.5.0_01 on
> Windows XP, Eclipse is 3.1M7 with the Sysdeo plugin.
>

> Any ideas what to do about this ? I tried putting commons-logging and
> log4j into one of the Tomcat library folders but without success.

When Tomcat is started via "startup.sh" (which calls catalina.sh) the
startup script deliberately ignores the current classpath and sets up a
custom one with the right jars (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html).

Eclipse must somehow be starting Tomcat with an "unclean" classpath. I
can't figure out exactly what's going on here as I don't know Eclipse or
your setup. But forcing tomcat to start "clean" should resolve the
issue.

Perhaps there is some option in Eclipse to start tomcat with a "clean"
classpath, eg "fork on startup"?

Regards,

Simon