commons-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Getting wrong filename from FileItem
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 19:50:22 GMT
The data difference is not in the code but in the request data from
the browser.  IE puts in the full name and other browsers put in just
the name.  Calling [file].getName() gives the same result for all of
them.  I don't think there is a way to get a full name from the
browsers that send only the file name.  There is no reason, of course,
to know the full name.

> It seems to me a method to get JUST the filename makes a lot of sense...
> what has been the reason for not adding it IN ADDITION to what's there
> now?  Unfortunately it would make more sense if getName() returned just
> the name while there was another method, maybe getFullName() that
> returned what getName() returns now, but that breaks existing code
> potentially, so I can certainly see why that hasn't been done, but
> adding something like getJustTheName() or something (obviously there
> must be a better choice!) makes sense to me.
>
> Frank
>
> Dakota Jack wrote:
> > That is an excellent point, Robert.  I often forget how horrible it
> > must be to be immeshed in those programming worlds where there is no
> > recourse.  Too often we shy away, I think, at changing code, even with
> > the Java distribution itself, license issues notwithstanding.

> >><snip>

> >>the great thing about open source is that you are free to do exactly
> >>this :)
> >>
> >>- robert

> --
> Frank W. Zammetti