commons-user mailing list archives

From Christian Aust <christ...@wilde-welt.de>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Using options while mapping a Java type
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 06:25:41 GMT
Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply. My problem is that the BeanWriter has to decide
at runtime if it should descend into the return value of
getStandardProperty() or getOtherProperty(). It's needed for some kind
of 'preview' functionality where non-standard data needs to be written.
I can't implement this in the data model because it would create
dependencies between the data model and the runtime behaviour.

I'd like to have that "option" approach working because this way I
could define in the .betwixt file what property needs to be changed to
another method in the case of a preview. Obviously putting this
knowledge in the BeanWriter wouldn't be too smart either, hard-coding
class and method names from the data model which need to be changed.

Changing the property value is perfect, but change it to what value?
That's where the option should come in. Unfortunately, the BeanWriter
doesn't introspect bean metadata until a bean class is written for the
first time, so I figured that some strategy would help that allows the
introspector to access options from the .betwixt file. I didn't find
anything now where this could fit in so I'm a bit lost...

-  Christian

Am 25.05.2005 um 22:36 schrieb robert burrell donkin:

> hi christian
>
> i'm not sure that this is possible right now. i'm also not too sure
> whether it'd be possible to add an easy implementation to betwixt.
>
> one thing i'm a little unclear about is why using an option in the
> betwixt file is preferable to just changing the property attribute
> value. will you explain?
>
> - robert
>
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 13:30 +0200, Christian Aust wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to customize the way betwixt maps Java types at runtime. See
>> this:
>>
>> Class file (shortened for readability):
>> class MyBean {
>> public Object getStandardProperty() {}
>> public Object getOtherProperty() {}
>> }
>>
>> .betwixt file:
>> <info>
>> <element name="mybean">
>> 	<element name="attachedObject" property="standardProperty">
>> 		<option>
>> 			<name>ifPreview</name>
>> 			<value>otherProperty</value>
>> 		</option>
>> 	</element>
>> 	<addDefaults/>
>> </element>
>> </info>
>>
>> I'd like to implement some (pluggable?) strategy that checks if that
>> option "ifPreview"
>> is set and in that case returns the value of getOtherProperty()
>> instead of
>> getStandardProperty() as the element named "mybean.attachedObject".
>>
>> I've tried a number of strategies, but couldn't find the right one.
>> Could somebody
>> please assist me in the right direction? Regards,
>>
>> -  Christian

Christian Aust
mailto:christian@wilde-welt.de
icq: 84500990 - Yahoo!: datenimperator - MSN: datenimperator
PGP: A94E 0181 664D 27E3 F05A  A751 6A7E 90D1 A0A3 DEC7