commons-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Rufer <stefan.ru...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: [Configuration] includes in PropertiesConfiguration / classloader case
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 06:54:28 GMT

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Oliver Heger wrote:
> However this whole include stuff was made a bit obsolete by
> ConfigurationFactory and the possibility of defining multiple configuration
> sources in a configuration definition file, which are collected and added to
> a CompositeConfiguration. Wouldn't this be an alternative for you?

Hmm, not quite. For a bigger development team we are setting up a JUnit
part that provides pre-configured TestCases. As different developers may
have different configs, the idea is to implement a dynamic overloading
mechanism for properties:

1st Prio  USERNAME.properties
2nd Prio  junit.properties
3rd Prio  default.properties

This is hard to do with a configuration definition file: As a user should
be able to override properties by _just_ adding it's USERNAME.properties
file, we can't foresee these entries in the config def file (don't want
all these usernames in there). Therefore we dynamically build up our
configuration inside the code using a CompositeConfiguration.

And: The include possibility is cool, I really like this, it provides
flexibility!

I had a quick look at the code but was not able to submit a patch right
now. Hope to find the time :-)

Stefan