commons-user mailing list archives

From "Chetan Sahasrabudhe" <Chet...@KPITCummins.com>
Subject RE: CSV parsing/writing?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 06:30:16 GMT
I guess CSV commons is a very good suggestion.
This kind of thing is very much required in data staging and processing.
If java needs to work with commercial products to process huge amount of data
then I would suggest to start the initiative on developing something for CSV processing.

On initial thought I can think of following feature list.

CSV Read
1. configurable column selection.
2. Hibernate / struts property driven CSV read configuration. (Here I am talking about referencing
third party xml elements as target references.)
3. xsl driven CSV conversions (CSV to XML, CSV to HTML, CSV to EDI, CSV to *new format*)
4. CSVFilter as that for FileFilter
   column range, column width range, row range

Regards
Chetan

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Cooper [mailto:mfncooper@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 11:53 AM
To: c.grigoroscuta@moodmedia.ro; Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: CSV parsing/writing?

On 5/25/05, Catalin Grigoroscuta <c.grigoroscuta@moodmedia.ro> wrote:
> No need to re-invent the wheel, try ostermiller CSV parser (see
> ostermiller.org) - open  source, GPL licence.
> It works fine for me.

A GPL license might be fine for people who want to pick up this
package and include it in their applications. However, the GPL is
fundamentally incompatible with the ASL, so it's not something we
could pick up and include in any Jakarta Commons component.

--
Martin Cooper

> Don Seiler wrote:
>
> >Afternoon.  Just writing to ask if anyone knows of any commons/jakarta
> >packages that may do CSV parsing and writing.  I'm aware of the jcsv
> >package but thought I would try and utilize commons as much as possible.
> >I looked at jakarta-oro as well but don't seem to see anything CSV
> >related.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.

This message contains the information that may be privileged and is  the property of the KPIT
Cummins Infosystems LTD.It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you
are not intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print , retain copy, disseminate,
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. KPIT Cummins does
not accept any liability for virus infected mails.