commons-user mailing list archives

From Andy Lewis <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: CSV parsing/writing?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 11:24:30 GMT

Neat thoughts - but CSV to EDI translation is not a trivial task like
parsing a delimited file. EDI is a highly structured, hierarchical
format. CSV is a simply structured flat format. If you want to have
tools to translate between flat, hierarchical (and/or relational) data,
you are talking about writing a extract-transform-load system, not just
a CSV parser.  HUGE difference in scope.

I'd recommend focusing on a delimited file parser for now.

Chetan Sahasrabudhe wrote:

>I guess CSV commons is a very good suggestion.
>This kind of thing is very much required in data staging and processing.
>If java needs to work with commercial products to process huge amount of data
>then I would suggest to start the initiative on developing something for CSV processing.
>
>On initial thought I can think of following feature list.
>
>CSV Read
>1. configurable column selection.
>2. Hibernate / struts property driven CSV read configuration. (Here I am talking about
referencing third party xml elements as target references.)
>3. xsl driven CSV conversions (CSV to XML, CSV to HTML, CSV to EDI, CSV to *new format*)
>4. CSVFilter as that for FileFilter
>   column range, column width range, row range
>

>Regards
>Chetan

KPIT Cummins Infosystems LTD.It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If
you are not intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print , retain copy, disseminate,
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. KPIT Cummins does
not accept any liability for virus infected mails.