commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] VFS.getManager().getFilesCache() - exists() vs findFiles()
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 15:23:44 GMT
Andy Lewis wrote:
>Wouldn't it make sense to have findFiles() update cache entries? Or is
>that the plan for 2.0?

I dont know exactly in which direction I will go with the caching stuff.

Currently I think about refactoring VFS to be able to run without
caching at all, and thus its planned for version 2.0
Currently there is a NullCache, but this introduce some memory leaks.

Though, I take your suggestion into account and will see how this could
work, maybe this is something for 1.1

Wouldnt it be nice to be able to write code like:

FileObject fo = vfs.resolveFile(....)
while (!fo.exists())
{
    wait
}

Sure, then exists() needs to hit the server every time, but today this
might not be that problem. And if the user needs caching it might be
possible to wrap a FileObject into a ChachedFileObject.
That could make the whole caching cleaner ....

And from my point of view this is exactly what I would like to get from VFS.
In VFS there are some glitches which makes it hard to fix it. But hey,
we need some work for a 2.0 release.

Every comment is still welcome!
I need to see what users expect from VFS.

---
Mario