commons-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Getting wrong filename from FileItem
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 19:33:15 GMT
It seems to me a method to get JUST the filename makes a lot of sense...
what has been the reason for not adding it IN ADDITION to what's there
now?  Unfortunately it would make more sense if getName() returned just
the name while there was another method, maybe getFullName() that
returned what getName() returns now, but that breaks existing code
potentially, so I can certainly see why that hasn't been done, but
adding something like getJustTheName() or something (obviously there
must be a better choice!) makes sense to me.

Frank

Dakota Jack wrote:
> That is an excellent point, Robert.  I often forget how horrible it
> must be to be immeshed in those programming worlds where there is no
> recourse.  Too often we shy away, I think, at changing code, even with
> the Java distribution itself, license issues notwithstanding.
>
> On 5/4/05, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 10:26 -0700, Dakota Jack wrote:
>>
>>>Some people think this is a bug and some people think that this is a
>>>feature.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>That is not a problem, however.  I just went in and changed the
>>>commons upload code adding .getName() to the file at this stage.  The
>>>problem you are seeing is in Internet Explorer, right?  Firefox and
>>>Netscape return the file name and Internet Explorer returns the full
>>>path.  Anyway, you either have to solve the problem in the commons
>>>upload code itself, where it is easy to solve, or to go through some
>>>wasted mechanisms after the fact.  Everyone has to solve this problem
>>>somewhere, so I definitely come down on the side of "bug" versus
>>>"feature".
>>
>>the great thing about open source is that you are free to do exactly
>>this :)
>>
>>- robert

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect