commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <>
Subject Re: [VFS] can I do a remote file append?
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 12:47:25 GMT
Am Do 26.05.2005 23:41 schrieb manco <>:

> Then I saw in the VFS javadoc
>   FileObject.getFileContent().getOuputStream(boolean Append) ...
> Is there some combination of FileContent that I can use to do a
> "remote" append, for
> sftp, ftp, smb and file?

If the filesystem do have the capability Capability.APPEND_CONTENT it is
possible to directly open the remote file in "append mode".
However, the input stream used to read the file and the output stream to
append to the file is always routed through your JVM.
VFS do not provide a method to do this completley remote.

However, if you use the append mode you avoid to copy the file around.
If a filesystem do not provide this capability you have to fallback to
your solution.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message