commons-user mailing list archives

From Don Seiler <...@seiler.us>
Subject Re: CSV parsing/writing?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 04:24:19 GMT
On 19:05 Wed 25 May     , James Sangster wrote:
> I was looking to doing CSV parsing using regular expressions, but I came
> across one post in a newsgroup where it was stated that regular expressions
> themselves couldn't handle it alone.   Because the environment I was working
> with had restricted regular expression capabilities and no third party
> package integration capabilities, I instead just went for the brute force
> method of parsing character for character on each line and using a state
> machine.
>
> It seems to work very well, but the performance could be a little better.

Would the jakarta community welcome a CSV parsing/writing module for
commons?  I'd be happy to work on it, no doubt I would start down a
similar path of having to look at each character and track the state of
what is a field and what isn't.

--
Don Seiler
don@seiler.us

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFC87F041
Fingerprint: 0B56 50D5 E91E 4D4C 83B7  207C 76AC 5DA2 FC87 F041