commons-user mailing list archives

From <ogjunk-comm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] FileChangeEvent, inotify, and file changes outside JVM
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 13:11:07 GMT
Hi Mario,

Having the option to let DefaultFileMonitor sleep is a good option,
although it sounds to me like that's only a short-term help.  That
would be really cool and useful would be VFS support for instant file
change event updates, and if it didn't have to keep references to all
"known" files in memory.

So yes, that probably means it's time for a JNI piece for Winblows, Mac
and Linux.  I'm not good with C/C++, and hence with JNI, but that link
I sent....
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-inotify.html - has
some C code that may help somebody going with at least inotify/Linux
support.

I'm not sure how active VFS is, and how many people are working on it.
How realistic would it be to hope to see support for this in the next
few months from VFS?

Thanks,
Otis