commons-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: [VFS] FileChangeEvent, inotify, and file changes outside JVM
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 23:02:27 GMT
Hello Mario, thanks for the answer.

Regarding DefaultFileMonitor - how scalable is this?  More precisely,
say I wanted to build yet another desktop indexing/search tool, and
thus monitor _everything_, or a few hundred or thousands of
directories, would DefaultFileMonitor be able to handle it?

I know, it depends on CPU, memory, etc., but have people tested it with
more than a few dozen directories?

--- Mario Ivankovits <> wrote:

> Hi!
> >I'm looking at Commons VFS project and see FileChangeEvent.  I'm
> >wondering if this lets an application listen for file/directory
> change
> >events that happen outside of the JVM (e.g. a user deletes a file,
> >edits it, or creates a new one, or perhaps creates a new directory)?
> >
> >I suspect the answer is no.... but perhaps somebody did some magic.
> :)
> >
> Have a look at DefaultFileMonitor.
> The magic it does is to regulary scan the directories/files and fires
> some events if it detect changes.
> Well, this is not far as good as inotify et al, but if you simply
> have
> to check a directory about new files you have to process then it
> could
> safe a lot of work for you.
> >Also, I am wondering if anyone is looking into inotify and will be
> >building something to let Java listen for inotify events under
> Linux.
> >This would be suuuuuuuuuuuper useful!
> >
> I have to admit I was only aware of dnotify, inotify is new to me.
> How usefull this could be for VFS needs to be discussed. VFS trys to
> combine many various filesystems and such a daemon do only work with
> local files.
> So the first home for this implementation could be commons-io.
> >Does anyone know if there is a Java piece that listens to
> >file/directory change events under Windows or Mac?
> >
> Windows allows a api for this, so you could use JNI to register to
> it.
> Sorry I dont know a ready made java-api for this. Intellij IDEA do
> something like this to monitor filesystem changes.
> I dont know what the Mac provides in this area.
> Ciao,
> Mario

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: