commons-user mailing list archives

From Hans Gilde <hgilde+comm...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [Jelly] Executable XML vs. Rich Configuration
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 05:52:46 GMT
My 2 cents: I got into Jelly as a framework for building Swing GUIs. In this
case, the Tag model works very well and the ability to implement the
scripting is also extremely useful.

Unfortunately, the company I did it for laid me off and I have to start the
whole framework from scratch if I want to publish it open source. However, I
find Jelly to be rather more than configuration... the name Jelly really
seems to fit for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Madoni [mailto:Dan.Madoni@ditech.com]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 1:12 PM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
Subject: RE: [Jelly] Executable XML vs. Rich Configuration

Hello Paul.

I can't speak for Hale, but I would like to respond to your comments since
these are important issues to me.

Regarding your comment on the idea that a change to "Executable XML" amounts
to a subtitle change, I would argue that it isn't merely about a subtitle,
but about positioning. This, of course, is a critical difference. Even
though Jelly is OSS and all that, there is still a job of selling to do,
both in order for Jelly to reach its potential, and so that the most
developers possible can benefit from it, and perhaps contribute to its
continued improvement.

I know I've already said my piece about the name "Jelly", but if you'll
indulge me again: the name is meaningless, even more so than most Apache
project names, (and that's saying something). At least "Tomcat" might
conjure images of something agile and street-savvy; "Betwixt" implies
something that sits between something else (which hints at what it is); of
course, names like "FileUpload" and "Logging" are precise and immediately
communicate the purpose of the project...

...but "Jelly"? It might as well be called "Blah" or "Hmmm", (don't get any
ideas). :)