commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Sangster" <james.sangs...@newswire.ca>
Subject RE: CSV parsing/writing?
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 23:05:18 GMT
I was looking to doing CSV parsing using regular expressions, but I came
across one post in a newsgroup where it was stated that regular expressions
themselves couldn't handle it alone.   Because the environment I was working
with had restricted regular expression capabilities and no third party
package integration capabilities, I instead just went for the brute force
method of parsing character for character on each line and using a state
machine.

It seems to work very well, but the performance could be a little better.

james

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:01 PM
To: Don Seiler
Cc: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: CSV parsing/writing?

Fair enough.  I have parsed CSVs a number of times, I guess I've been
lucky in that one of the design criteria was no occurances of the
delimiter within data elements.  Certainly if there is a chance of that,
then sure, you need something more advanced.

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect