commons-user mailing list archives

From "Andrea Sodomaco" <and...@sodomaco.it>
Subject R: HttpClient and User Agent string
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 09:26:31 GMT
Try

getmethod = new GetMethod(url_to_get);
Header ua = new Header("User-Agent","Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac
OS X; en)");
getmethod.setRequestHeader(ua);

Andrea

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Luca Passani [mailto:passani@eunet.no]
Inviato: venerdì 20 maggio 2005 0.33
A: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Oggetto: HttpClient and User Agent string

Hello

the archives contain traces of a HttpClient specific dev mailing list,
but it does not seem to exist anymore, so I wonder if this is the right
place to ask.

I need to build some HTTP utilities. Jakarta HttpClient seemed
to do the job apparently, but I can't find a way to change the
user-agent header!!!

reading the JavaDocs I got as far as:

getmethod = new GetMethod(url_to_get);
Header ua = new Header("User-Agent","Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac
OS X; en)");
getmethod.USER_AGENT = ua;

Alas, for reasons I can't understand, this is not permitted:

    [javac] DocumentRetriever.java:110: USER_AGENT has protected access
in org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase
    [javac]         getmethod.USER_AGENT = ua;
    [javac]                      ^
    [javac] 1 error

what am I missing?

thanks