commons-user mailing list archives

From "James Sangster" <james.sangs...@newswire.ca>
Subject RE: [FileUpload/HTTPClient] (re)encode already consumed multipart request
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 14:50:15 GMT
Hi Alexander,

I'm curious as to whether I understand the request you made below and
whether it is very similar (or the same) as to what I had been hoping to do.

I have a servlet which receives an HTTP multipart POST from a client, then
forwards that same request on to the final destination server (basically the
project is a HTTP proxy, whereby the client sends me data, and I send it on
to a configurable end server).

At present time I use the FileUpload component to handle the request from
the client and save the file to disk, then I construct a multipart POST
using HttpClient to send the data onwards.   If it's possible to avoid
saving the file to disk, but rather have it stream from the client request
into my new multipart POST to the end server, that would be great, and
probably help out the performance substantially.

The performance now isn't so bad, but should I start getting into bigger
files (on the order of magnitude of MBs), then the performance will suffer.

Any feedback from yourself or others on how to accomplish this would be
greatly appreciated.  Aside from this one little struggle, I must say that
HttpClient and FileUpload have made the job much simpler.

Thanks,
james