commons-user mailing list archives

From Mark Kikken <...@vaessen-consulting.de>
Subject Re: procrun as user
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:47:14 GMT

>>I'm actually trying this with the tomcat binary. It's really tomcat I'm
>>trying to register as a service, for an IzPack installation of a portal
>>application. So, I didn't run into the compillation problems you ran
>>into. Maybe you should try it with the tomcat5.exe binary that comes
>>with tomcat.
>>

>Yep, I tried exactly that, but couldn´t get it running :-(
>

>>But still, I can't run the service as a different user. What could be
>>causing this?
>>

>Hmm, I know that there´s the "Monitor Tomcat" tray icon program that
>ships with tomcat since 5.0.x ....
>There´s a configure option to have tomcat running as a special user
>and not as SYSTEM. The user I had choosen for that belongs to the
>administrator´s group.
>I have already done this and it worked. ASFAIK the credentials put in
>there are just passed to procrun. So it should work that way.
>
>I used JDK 1.4_02 -> 1.5.x on Windows XP Professional with tomcat
>5.0.28, 5.5.4 or 5.5.7 - don´t remember exactly.
>
>Do you see some tomcat-related entries in the system´s event log?
>
>Maybe you´re encountering the same or a similar problem that I was
>running into!?!
>

>kind regards
>Rolf

Rolf,

I Tried creating a user (dp), set a password (dp) and give that user
admin rights, but still: if i run "tomcat5.exe //US//DocPortal --User dp
--Password dp", nothing happens and the service's properties don't change.
Other than that, it just works as expected. Please note that Tomcat
itself does not provied a "run-as-user" during it's installation (at
least: i couldn't find it).

Regards,

Mark Kikken

--