commons-user mailing list archives

From Matt Goodwin <mgood...@metalexis.com>
Subject Re: [validator] Resource bundle with standalone validation
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:10:37 GMT
There is a good discussion of that on the Commons-Validator site.   If
you're in a web environment you basically initilalize your resource
bundle in an initialization servlet.  Check out this link.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ValidatorStandalone.  If you need
an example of the code I can send you what I've done.  If you're outside
the web environment there are a few other things that you can do, but I
will let others speak on that as I have not done that.

Thanks,

Matt

Ben Avery wrote:

> I want to use a resource bundle to generate meaningful error messages,
> using Validator in a standalone, non-Struts environment.
>
> What do I need to put in the Java class which instantiates and calls
> the Validator, so it understands which resourcebundle file to look up
> references like
>
> xml config file:
> <global>
>     <validator
>       name="email"
>       classname="org.youthnet.ben.ValidatorWrapper"
>       method="doValidEmail"
>       methodParams="java.lang.Object, org.apache.commons.validator.Field"
>       msg="errors.email"/>
> </global>
>
> <formset>
>   <form name="simpleform">
>      <field property="startDate" depends="required">
>         <arg position="0" key="Start date"/>
>      </field>
>   </form>
> </formset>
>
> the resource file would look like:
>
> errors.required={0} is required.
> errors.maxlength={0} cannot be greater than {1} characters.
> errors.email={0} is an invalid email address.

Matt Goodwin
mgoodwin@metalexis.com
(515)708-0114
Metalexis