commons-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: PoolingDriver, PoolingDataSource
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:59:49 GMT
Jave has 2 main ways of getting a connection
1) java.sql.DriverManager (and a DB specific java.sql.Driver)
2) javax.sql.DataSource

DBCP provides PoolingDriver and PoolingDataSource as a connection
pooling solution for both. With BasicDataSource as a default way of
using the PoolingDataSource.
The DBCP component stands between your application and the underlying
DB driver and provides connection pooling.

Jakarta ObjectRelationalBridge is a object<=>database mapping tool.
It can load/store you objects into DB tables, it is an alternative to
writing your own insert/select statements.

DBCP only does connection pooling.

Alternatives for OJB are:
http://db.apache.org/torque/
http://incubator.apache.org/ibatis/site/index.html
http://www.hibernate.org/

-- Dirk

Scott Purcell wrote:
> In my quest to try and get an understanding of the DBCP package, I ended reading this
document last evening:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/apidocs/org/apache/commons/dbcp/package-summary.html#package_description
> (it is the package-description with a Q&A).
>
> I am trying to understand what a PoolingDriver and a PoolingDataSource are? I can see
examples of how to use it, but what do these actually do? I hate to be inquisitive, but it
would help my understanding of this package. I am also looking at the Jakarta ObjectRelationalBridge,
but I think it is too advanced for my needs today. Is that kind of technology also implemented
within the DBCP package?