commons-user mailing list archives

From Mélanie Bats <melanie.b...@utbm.fr>
Subject Re: [transaction.locking]Want to lock intervals
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:13:14 GMT
Hello,

Oliver Zeigermann a écrit :

> All this would be in the lock manager and would not require changes to
> the lock classes.

In order to understand correctly how to implement the solution to my
problem, I looked at the implementation of the GenericLock class. I have
a few questions about it.

As far as I understand, a GenericLock is associated to a resourceId (the
object _being_ locked, which in my problem will be an interval). When
ones want to get a lock, either read or write, on this resourceId, the
acquire() method is called. The ownerId is the object that _wants_ the
lock (in my problem, will be a Thread). Am I right ?

I have the feeling that a GenericLock object has to be associated to an
other object (the resourceId), for which it manages the lock. For
example, if I define a MessageMailbox object, I could associate a
GenericLock to it to handle the locking issues.

However, in my case, it is a bit different. The objects I am accessing
are the nodes of an XML tree. However, I don't want to lock each node
independently, but instead allocate dynamically intervals of nodes being
accessed.

Using the interval as the resourceId does not seem to be the right
solution : the object being protected by the lock is not the interval
itself, but rather the nodes covered by the interval. I'm not sure if
it's all clear, but I think this small detail changes pretty much
everything.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks for your help,

Mélanie