commons-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Purcell" <spurc...@vertisinc.com>
Subject DBCP Getting started
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:26:08 GMT
I am having trouble understanding how the DBCP classes work within Tomcat.

I have been on the Tomcat site for the past two days, trying to figure things out. I have
been following their example of how to create a the <Context /> and a <Resource />
and pull those our using JNDI? in order to use obtain a "DataSource".

But now after spending some time on the DBCP site, and checking the examples, I do not see
why I need to even use JNDI at all.

I am looking at a example here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/dbcp/doc/BasicDataSourceExample.java?view=markup

And it just shows using the pool without all the JNDI connection, etc.

Can someone try and explain to me how this fits together, and why Tomcats example of using
DBCP differs from this sites?

Thanks,
Scott