commons-user mailing list archives

From "Anand Narasimhan" <ana...@cisco.com>
Subject New to JXPath. Please help
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:19:03 GMT
Hi,

I am new to JXPath. I just read the user guide briefly. I have a few
questions. Please help.

The user guide says  "JXPath applies XPath expressions to graphs of objects
of all kinds: JavaBeans, Maps, Servlet contexts, DOM etc, including mixtures
thereof. "

1. Can I use JXPath to select nodes from a tree containing arbitrary data by
applying XPath expressions. If so what do I need to do, what classes do I
need to extend. Or my understanding of JXPath is completely
wrong and JXPath cannot be used for this purpose?
2. If I want to package JXPath binaries with a commercial product, are there
any licensing restrictions. What are they?

A bit more information on my tree model. My tree mode is very much similar
to the javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeModel and the nodes are similar to
javax.swing.tree.DefaultMutableTreeNode.

public class Tree
{
    Node root;

   public Node getRoot();
}

public class Node
{
    String nodeName;
    Node parent;
    List children;
    MyClass userData;
}

Implementation of MyClass does not follow the Java Bean conventions. It
basically contains a hash map of attribute/value pairs and has setAttribute
and getAttribute method. It also has a setter and getter for each attribute.

For eg.

public class MyClass
{
    protected HashMap attributes

    public void setAttribute( String key, Object value );
    public Object getAttribute( String key );
}

public class MyClass1 extends MyClass
{
    public static final String NAME = "Name";
    public static final String IP_ADDRESS = "IP Address";

    public String getName ()
    {
        return (String) getAttribute( NAME );
    }

    public String getIpAddress()
    {
        return (String) getAttribute( IP_ADDRESS );
    }
}

So, If have a tree instance like

                              Root

    |                    |                                |                |
                         X                             X1
                Y            Y2          Z1            Z2

I want use XPath to select node /Root/X/Y2    or  /Root/X/Y[@Name = 'xyz'].
Is this possible with JXPath.

Thanks
Anand