commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: gpl software with commons components?
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:37:20 GMT
On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 15:28 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Matthijs Wensveen wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Maybe this question has been asked a thousand times already, in that
> > case I am sorry.
> > I have made a piece of software that I want to place on sourceforge. It
> > is a library that makes use of lucene and a lot of other jakarta commons
> > components. Those jars are licenced under the apache licence (2.0). Does
> > the AL being incompatible with the GPL make it impossible for me to
> > licence my library under the GPL?
> AFAIK this (release under GPL but using
> AL components) should be ok - legally.

the free software foundation discusses (at length) how they see things
here: (they do not think
that you can combine a GPL'd module without another that is ASL2.0'd.)
this decision was more than a little controversial and others disagree
(GPL is silent about patents but IIRC some believe that patient grants
are implied whereas others do not). it is possible that differences in
statue and legal systems means that different jurisdictions would
deliver different judgements (if the matter ever came to court).

so sadly, the only good answer at the moment is: consult a lawyer.

if you cannot afford to consult a lawyer then my personal advice is to
carefully read both the ASL2.0 and GPL. then do the right thing
ethically. even if one day, a court interprets the law in an unexpected
fashion at least you can hold your head up high and say: i did what i
thought was right.

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: