commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <s_kitch...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: commons logging class level logging
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:05:26 GMT
Trenton D. Adams <trenta <at> athabascau.ca> writes:

> I thought I read somewhere that JCL allows one to turn on/off debug
> logging based on the package or class name.  Is that right?  I'm looking
> on the JCL website, but can't find information on that.  Perhaps that's
> because I don't know what to search for!

JCL is simply a "wrapper" that provides a common API to a number of different
logging libraries. Configuration of the underlying library is explicitly *not*
part of JCL.

So if you are using log4j as the underlying library then you need to read up on
how to configure log4j to turn on/off logging by category name. If you are
using native jdk-1.4 logging as the underlying logging library then you need to
read up on configuring that, etc.

Both of the above logging systems *do* have the ability to filter log messages
based on log category name (and the recommended convention is for code to use
the current class name as the log category).

Regards,

Simon