commons-user mailing list archives

From Dipole Moment <dipole.mom...@gmail.com>
Subject [DBCP] Servlets sharing a DataSource
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:33:43 GMT
Hi all,

I've been researching what's the best way of sharing a DataSource
between servlets with DBCP, and I've come up with the following
scenario:  I implement a ServletContextListener and obtain a
DataSource in contextInitialized() method and put it as an attribute
in ServletContext

        Context env = null;
        DataSource pool;
        env = (Context) new InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env");
        pool = (DataSource) env.lookup("jdbc/postgres");
        context.setAttribute("POOL", pool);

and then every servlet that wants to execute a query, looks up the
POOL attribute and does a getConnection() on it, creates a statement
and does its job...

        pool = (DataSource) context.getAttribute("POOL");
        conn = pool.getConnection();
        stmt = conn.createStatement();

My questions are as follows: is the above usage valid, thread-safe?
Are there any better ways of doing it?  And in case of DataSource, I
could not find a method for it that closes it so that I could call it
in contextDestroyed() method of the ServletContextListener, is it ok
to shutdown application without doing any sort of a "close()" on
DataSource?

Thanks!