commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly] Concurrent threads
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:40:36 GMT

Le 7 mars 05, à 17:17, Lars J. Nilsson a écrit :
> My apologies on beforehand if this is explained elsewhere, but I could
> not find any information on thread-safety or synchronization. My
> assumptions are:
>   1) The JellyContext is thread safe.

There may be holes or the need for a thread-safe wrapper class but, in
principle, yes it should. I'd rather go on a wrapper since synchronized
blocks are evilly expensive and, I think, multi-threaded contexts are
rare.

>   2) Script's are generally thread safe; but...

Scripts are only results of compilation, they store no state except a
reference, attached to a thread, to their tags.

>   3) It is possibly to write a non-thread safe custom tag.

Tags are not meant for multi-threadededness.... a tag should only be
used by a single thread and this is why we create a new tag for each
thread that visits a tag-script.

> As you understand I am thinking of using Jelly in a multi-threaded
> environment. Can anyone give me a few pointers?

Can you be more precise on your intent ?
In general the rationale:
- context store for explicit states
- tags store for modelled states, but only one per thread
seemed to fit me well...

hope that helps.

paul