commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [chain] fixed, one-way chains, only?
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:33:56 GMT
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:50:25 +0100, tmp@nitwit.de <tmp@nitwit.de> wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 06:02, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> > Commons Chain isn't about parsing documents, it is about executing
> > commands.  If you are after converting your XML document into some
>
> It a pattern. It about what I want to use it for.
>
> > sort of data structure, you probably want to look at Commons Digester
> > instead.
>
> No, I'm not after parsing XML I'm about parsing a file format that has some
> kind of a tree structure and which a chain would perfectly match - if I had
> the possibility to buidl the chain in a tree structure as well. I also think
> that this would be a smart extension of the pattern.

I think you may want to read some more on the Chain of Responsibility
pattern. It has no relationship to trees, so I think perhaps you're
confusing it with a different pattern. From the GoF book:

Chain of Responsibility
Avoid coupling the sender of a request to its receiver by giving more
than one object a chance to handle the request. Chain the receiving
objects and pass the request along the chain until an object handles
it.

This doesn't seem to me to be related to the problem you are trying to solve.

--
Martin Cooper