commons-user mailing list archives

From Bill Siggelkow <bills...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Chain: Is it really CoR or Template Method? or both?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:12:18 GMT
The documentation and API of commons-chain frequently refers to the
chain of responsibility pattern; however, my first impression was that
its more like the Template Method. I would be interested in how others
perceive this ... in either respect, I'm inclined to consider chain to
be a melding of the two (plus the Command and Composite patterns thrown
in). Certainly the "handling" aspect of Commons-chain commands stem from
the CoR pattern. However, the notion of defining a sequential set of
commands, using either the XML config file or the API, feels like
Template Method.

I realize that this is a somewhat academic discussion; however,
understanding the common patterns underlying chain help us frame its
applicability to the general public. I'm also writing an article on
commons-chain and have been puzzling over this issue.

-Bill Siggelkow