commons-user mailing list archives

From Dylan Stamat <dyl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons HttpClient: HttpClient#setConnectionTimeout
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:23:32 GMT
Connection Timeout is simply the length of time it takes before you
receive a response.
Socket Timout is the length of time it takes the host you are
connecting to to actually send something back (other than the
response).

So, if you are connecting to a host that is supposed to do a big query
and send you the results, you'd want a small connection timeout (3-5
seconds), and a larger socket timeout (5 minutes maybe), as the host
may have to do a huge query before sending you the data.

Cool ?  Check out the below for an example.  I actually just
implemented this in my application, which is why it is so fresh in my
head :)

For example:
=====================
            // create connection defaults
            HttpConnectionManagerParams hmcp =
                new HttpConnectionManagerParams();
            hmcp.setSoTimeout(18000);
            hmcp.setConnectionTimeout(300);

            SimpleHttpConnectionManager scm =
                new SimpleHttpConnectionManager();
            scm.setParams(hmcp);

            // create http client
            HttpClient httpClient = new HttpClient(scm);
=====================

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:03:31 +0100, José Antonio Pérez Testa
<japtesta@indra.es> wrote:
> I think is:
> client.setTimeout(5000);
>
> Kedar Panse wrote:
>
> > You may want to use socket timeout (setSoTimeout) not http coonection
> > timeout
> >
> > Kedar
> >
> > John C Cartwright wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I'm attempting to throw an exception when the connection cannot be
> >> established within 5 seconds (see code excerpt below). However when
> >> the target host is down (doesn't respond to ping), it takes much
> >> longer than 5 seconds before the exception is actually thrown.
> >>
> >> Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> -- john
> >>

> >>        HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
> >>        HttpMethod method = new GetMethod(url);
> >>        client.setConnectionTimeout(5000);  //wait 5 seconds for response
> >>        try {
> >>            statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
> >>            String responseBody = method.getResponseBodyAsString();
> >>        } catch (Exception e){
> >>            log.fatal("error reading URL",e);
> >>            throw new IllegalStateException ("Error reading URL");
> >>        } finally {
> >>            method.releaseConnection();
> >>        }

> Este correo electr+APM-nico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene
informaci+APM-n de car+AOE-cter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios.
Queda prohibida su divulgaci+APM-n, copia o distribuci+APM-n a terceros sin la previa autorizaci+APM-n
escrita de Indra. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electr+APM-nico por error, se ruega
notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenv+AO0-o a la direcci+APM-n electr+APM-nica
del remitente.

> The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copy of this communication is prohibited without the prior written consent
of Indra. If you have received this communication in error, please, notify the sender by reply
e-mail