commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <>
Subject Re: [Digester] XSD Support?
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:05:56 GMT
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 12:39 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 12:25 -0500, Jason Vinson wrote:
> > For the benefit of anyone who is looking for the answers to these
> > questions, here's what i've found.  Please correct any glaring errors
> > if you see them.
> >
> > 1.) AFAIK, XSD is supported in the digester if you use a non-Xerces
> > parser (i.e. Crimson)
> No, it's supported no matter what parser you use, once it's enabled.
> It's just enabling schema validation that may be a little tricky.

To be more precise: digester doesn't *care* whether validation is
enabled or not; it does not affect digester in any way[1].

As a favour to users, Digester does try to provide some methods to make
it easy to set up schema validation. However this is really quite
outside Digester's main functionality [2].

Schema validation can be enabled on the parser by making direct calls on
it before commencing parsing with Digester.

[1] Well, the ErrorHandler associated with the parser may be invoked to
report a validation problem. And by default Digester provides an
ErrorHandler that logs then swallows reported errors. So when using
validation, you really need to specify a custom error handler too. But
again, a default ErrorHandler is provided by Digester just as a
convenience to users and you can set your own very easily.

[2] And I personally would prefer that digester didn't try to do this at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message