commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Digester] Is capability to set object property based on attribute value comparison present?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 07:12:25 GMT
Hi Kartik,

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 00:25 -0600, Kartik Asatkar wrote:
> Wouldn't addition of these capabilities to Digester be of use to many users?

If you can describe why people might want such a feature on a reasonably
frequent basis, then yes there is a good chance it might be included. If
you provided a patch to implement it, the chances would increase
significantly :-)

But frankly I think what you are trying to do is a bit odd. I can't
imagine why you would want to use the body *or* an attribute depending
upon the value of another attribute. That's not intended to be a
criticism of your code: if you need to do it, then you need to do it.
But the question is whether many *other* people will want this feature.
If not, then it really isn't appropriate for inclusion in the core
product. I've written a number of custom Rule classes that have not been
added to the core, just because they were not solutions to common
problems.

> Cause if you are looking to specify all rules in xml, then due absence
> of these some rules would have to be coded in Java and added using
> include tag.

The "include" tag? How does this help you access custom Rule classes
from xmlrules?

> Or are these and more to be added in v2.0?

Well I hope to make it easier to access custom Rule classes from
xmlrules. And hope to make it automatic for all ordinary rules to be
accessable from xmlrules, so we reduce the number of cases where
features are present via the API but not xmlrules.

But that's the only plans so far. Once the basic digester2 framework is
stored in subversion (very soon now), you are very welcome to have a
look at it and offer patches to add features. Or you can offer patches
to digester1.x now; note however that new code is generally accepted
only if it is expected to offer benefits to a reasonable number of
users.

Regards,

Simon