commons-user mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <j...@wendysmoak.com>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Sending serialized object from httpclient to servlet.
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:22:52 GMT
From: "Sanjeev Tripathi" <sanjeev.tripathi@parago.com>

> Can any one tell me how send serialized object to
> servlet from httpclient.

Colin already gave you one option, (base 64 encoding the binary data):
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg57055.html

For general information on base 64 encoding:
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+base64+encoding

Here's Jakarta Commons Codec, which includes a base 64 encoder:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec/apidocs/org/apache/commons/codec/binary/Base64.html

Without actually trying it, it looks like all you need to do is:
     byte[] encodedData = Base64.encodeBase64( binaryData );
Then turn the byte[] into a String and POST it to the server as the value of
a request parameter.  If it's not too big, it should work the same way as
sending a big string from a text area.

The 'commons-dev' list is usually reserved for questions about the
development of the libraries themselves, so I'm replying to commons-user
(and copying dev).

--
Wendy Smoak