commons-user mailing list archives

From Scott Heaberlin <heabd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about connection
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:55:06 GMT
This would vary by the jdbc driver, correct?  I ask this because we
read the wiki comment regarding the necessity of the validation query
and since we use DB2Connect Enterprise, we have all but abandoned
usage of validation query in our applications.

>From the wiki: http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP

<quote>
Q: Without using validation of connections (testOnBorrow = false,
testOnReturn = false, timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis = -1) and after
shutdown and restarting the database again, it looks like the pool is
cleaning its old connections by itself. So it turns out that we always
have valid connections. How can you explain this and when is explicit
validation necessary?

A: During the connection activation (when borrowing a connection) the
setAutoCommit and other connection init methods are called. If one of
these methods throws a SQLException then the connection is also
considered broken and removed from the pool.

So if you are using one of the "default*" properties and the JDBC
driver correctly reports the SQLExceptions on the "set*" methods then
you don't need an extra validationQuery.
</quote>

Did I misunderstand?

-Scott Heaberlin