commons-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: commons-chain: joining with struts
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:46:09 GMT
As one of the Struts developers who is very keen on moving
chain-integration forward, I'll say a few brief words.  I'm not on
the commons-user list, but I will say that Sean's right that this
discussion is best suited to struts-dev.   (I'll leave commons-user
on this message, but I'd encourage anyone else who responds to only
reply to dev@struts.apache.org)

Anyway, we've talked about a StrutsWebContext, and in fact, we've
talked about a few different subclasses of o.a.c.chain.Context for
use in different phases of the request process.  You may want to look
through the mailing list archives, as this has been a pretty active
topic of discussion in the last 2-3 months.

Now that Chain has hit a full release, we are definitely planning on
moving ahead with changing the default request processor in Struts to
be based on commons-chain.  The struts-chain project which is
currently available from the subversion repository is a very healthy
working implementation.  The migration to the Struts core will mostly
involve building in a mechanism for initializing any number of
catalogs (obsoleting a Plugin class which does it in struts-chain).

But I absolutely agree that it makes sense to make type-safe
subclasses of Context which clarify the names and types of important
participants in the Struts request processing chain.  I would only
argue that we'd probably like to keep "Web" from being too visible,
as we feel in Struts that it would be good to decrease explicit
dependencies on the Servlet API.

Best,
	Joe

--